Saturday, January 9, 2010

talitha cumi

God, how do you see me,
your daughter.
Can i call myself that?
How do you see this fickle-hearted girl with no more direction than the falling shell of a leaf
Is there some bond or closeness that I can't access
because i have Grandmother Eve's curiosity?
her genes buried deep in my coding
do you know me with distance
across the table

or do you see from inside my very eye-lids,
knowing some strength of small fingers i haven't seen
and the weakness of high hopes
my daily defeats

do you see me from inside the most strictly closed chamber doors

sometimes i feel like i peer at you from outside the garden
trying to catch a glimpse through the flaming swords

but i think it is truer
that i am so known that i cannot close you out
you are so present
that i miss you
the way i miss the sky
forget to notice you
the way i forget how beautiful and strange
colors are
or the sound of my sister's voice
and the feel of bare feet on an earthy surface

like driving in a car
too deep in thought to remember conversation

or to realize that i've been silent

No comments:

Post a Comment